Tuesday 9 April 2013

Gonal-F isn't working :( Femara worked better, why?

I don't understand why medication that cost $6 worked better than the one that cost $1000. Does this make any sense whatsoever? Last cycle with Femara I had 2 mature follicles and some smaller ones, but this cycle with Gonal-F I only have 1 mature follicle and one very small one. The biggest is 19 and the smallest 13. I have been taking 150IU for 4 days, shouldn't I have more follicles? The doctor of the day said that they aim between 2 and 4 follicles, so this is a bit discouraging. A year ago when we did Gonal-F I started out on 100IU and finished off taking 125IU and got 3 mature follicles so I don't understand why I got less follicles with a higher dosage. I also don't understand why Femara works better. The scariest part of all this is that the doctor said Gonal-F is used for IVF, but what's the point if I'm only going to get 1 egg when usually they transfer 2 embryos. I have seen online that there's a certain protocol that is used for women who don't respond well to injections, but apparently my clinic has never heard of this and will treat me like they treat everyone. Is this normal, or should I get a second opinion before we move on to IVF?

The doctor of the day told me to take 150IU tonight and come back tomorrow. He said that my 19mm follicle is mature and could rupture at any time. They took my blood and will call me if my LH is surging. If it is, we will do an IUI the next day. He said if I don't surge and the follicle gets too big they will trigger me. I'm not sure if I even want to have the IUI with only one follicle because it could be a waste of money, but the odds of an IUI are better than TI so we're going to do it. I am never taking injections again unless we are doing IVF because I don't see the point in having needles in my stomach every day and spending that amount of money on something when there's something else (femara) that works just the same and is WAAAAAAY cheaper.

I didn't ask what my lining was, but while I was getting the ultrasound I could have sworn I saw her enter 7.9 into the computer.

I'm convinced that there is something seriously wrong with me. Compared to what I see online, I'm not normal. I have a bad feeling that we will never have a child of our own. I think my eggs are too bad and I will be going into menopause in 5 or less years. It runs in my family. My grandmother was only 35 and my aunt was only 39. I know that other relatives were also in their 30s. I suggested to DH that we skip trying and go straight to adoption, but he said hell no lol. He wants to do at least 2 IVF's before we think of going down that route. I don't even think IVF will work with my crappy eggs. Donor eggs are as expensive as adoption, so I think that's out of the question. On the fertility clinic's website it says that donor eggs are $23,000! YIKES!

What the hell is wrong with this world, why do people who don't want kids or shouldn't have them pop them out like crazy, but others like DH and I are going through hell and back trying? This really makes me question things.

3 comments:

  1. I would definitely get a second opinion before you move on to IVF. You want to make the most of the procedure, and if there are other doctors that can give you something to help you respond better, that's what you should do.

    And I really don't get what is wrong with this world either. Women that leave their kids out to die of exposure have no problem getting pregnant. But women who would make wonderful parents struggle so hard. Its horribly unfair, but I do hope very much that you get your little miracle one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would want to get a second opinion. Maybe get other peoples' opinions on clinics around you? Is there a clinic where you wouldn't be seeing different doctors all the time? That sounds very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for reading and commenting on my blog. Your comments mean a lot to me :)

    The only problem is that it could take a while before I got into another clinic because of wait lists and stuff. I have a feeling that all clinics and doctors will be the same unfortunately.

    The only way to make sure the ultrasounds and blood tests are covered is to have different doctors of the day. Other clinics that only have one doctor use nurses for cycle monitoring and OHIP (ontario's health plan), won't cover them if you see a nurse but will if you see a doctor. I know someone who paid $80 to a clinic in Toronto for every day that she was monitored. We only pay $350 a year for unlimited monitoring. I'm at the clinic at least 4 times a month, so paying $80 each time would be very expensive and not affordable.

    I'm torn on what to do. Maybe I will make another RE appointment before IVF and make it clear to him about my concerns. I will demand to be on a very high dosage of injections during IVF lol. He said they would start me on 200, but I have read that they can give you as high as 600. 150 did absolutely nothing to me, so I'm pretty sure 200 won't do anything either.

    ReplyDelete